Volunteers are the heartbeat of our operation
Volunteers represent an integral part of Feeding Northeast Florida’s ability to help provide food to people in need in our community. Last year, volunteers contributed over 32,000 hours of service, which is the equivalent of 15 employees.
Feeding Northeast Florida involves hundreds of volunteers each week in various aspects of our operation. We have individual and group opportunities for those who are 14 years of age and older.
Warehouse Food Sorting
You can help fight hunger Tuesday through Friday and a few Saturdays every month with our warehouse food sorting volunteer opportunities. You will help ensure high-quality, safe food is being distributed to clients by working with teams to inspect, categorize and package food items. Depending on the day, we may be sorting donations of shelf-stable items, bagging fresh produce, or repacking frozen items. At this time we offer the following food sorting shifts:
- 8:30 – 11:30 am – Tuesday through Friday; several Saturdays per month
- 12:30 – 3:30 pm – Tuesday through Friday; several Saturdays per month
All volunteers must be scheduled in advance. We cannot accommodate walk-ins.
Ready to Volunteer?
Review our Volunteer Requirements
What type of volunteer are you?
Individual: Simply sign up for an available shift on the form below.
School/kid groups: We require there to be one chaperone (age 18 or older) for every 5 kids in a group
A group consists of 5 or more volunteers.
- Step 1: Find an open shift with the number of slots that you need on our volunteer calendar.
- Step 2: Once you find an opportunity, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 904.416.0780. Please provide the following information: Name of group, number of volunteers and volunteer opportunity date/shift.
- Step 3: Wait for your response email to confirm your group reservation.
Frequently Asked Questions on Volunteering at FNEFL
Q: What can I expect when volunteering with Feeding Northeast Florida?
A: You can expect to make a real difference! We’re committed to providing a first-class volunteer experience that is not limited to traditional food banking. As we grow, we will rely on volunteers to play key roles in operations, distribution, fundraising and keeping us innovative. All along the way, you will see your efforts will have an immediate and positive impact on the people who live in Northeast Florida.
Please not that all volunteer opportunities must be scheduled in advance. Our food sorting shifts take place in our distribution center located at 1116 Edgewood Avenue N., Units D&E, Jacksonville, FL 32205. Our distribution center is a warehouse environment. We require all volunteers to wear closed toe shoes while volunteering. We encourage all volunteers to dress warmly in the winter – layers are suggested, as are jeans, sweatshirts, etc. – and to dress lightly in the summer.
Q: Who can volunteer?
A: We welcome volunteers age 14 and older. Volunteers ages 14 and 15 must be accompanied by one adult for every five youth.
Q: Where do I volunteer?
A: Most assistance is needed at our distribution center, located at 1116 Edgewood Ave. N., Units D&E, Jacksonville, FL 32254.
Q: When will all the volunteer opportunities be available?
A: Sign up now! Volunteer opportunities are available Wednesday through Saturday. Once you create an account you can also sign up for notices when new events and opportunities are available. Individuals may create an account and sign up through our volunteer management system. Groups may sign up by contacting our Volunteer Department: email@example.com or 904.416.0780.
Q: What roles/assignments are available?
A: We have several opportunities including:
- Food Sorting – Ensure quality and safe food is being distributed to clients by working with teams to inspect, categorize and package food items. Depending on the day, we may be sorting donations of shelf-stable items, bagging fresh produce or repacking frozen items.